Friday, May 29, 2009

The City (Sunday, May 24, 2009)

It’s been a while since I’ve been ‘out on the town,’ and a ‘Sado-onsen-reunion’ was a good excuse to do it.  Courtney and her Sado buddies were in Niigata City for the night.  They made reservations at a Spicy Market, a hot and spicy Thai restaurant.  It was very nice to be with old and new friends, though I made the conscious mistake of putting a chunk of a red pepper in my mouth.  Within seconds my tounge and throat was on fire and my ears were in horrible pain!!  After drinks and 5 billion different Thai dishes, we headed to good ol’ Northern Lights, a lame house event at Immigrants Café, and then a wild hip hop event at Shame. 



It goes unsaid that I didn’t get much sleep the night before meeting up with my darling grandmother.  No worries though, she supplied me with enough coffee to keep me going through a day at the Aquarium.  I’m pretty sure out of all the museums that exist, the aquarium is hands down my favorite.  This aquarium wasn’t even that THAT special.  I was still memorized and calmed by the beauty in the bright fish, funnily shaped sea creatures, jellyfish, eels, dolphins, otters, sea lions, sea anemones, sea turtles, stingrays, sea horses, and on and on. My grandma might have been even more interested in the little fish tanks than I was.  She was so cute the way she marveled at the way they swam.  I asked her if it made her hungry because it kind of made me hungry.


The hugest sea lion I will probably ever see in my life.


Funny thing is that Flo and her visiting Aussie boyfriend invited me out to dinner at a conveyor belt sushi restaurant in Murakami after I got back.  No matter how tired I was, I can never turn down kaitenzushi!!


No comments: