Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ramen Event (Saturday, May 30, 2009)


This weekend, Toki Messei hosted a ramen event where ramen restaurants from all over Japan came to flaunt their most original ramen.  Ramen-yasans from Niigata City, Niigata Prefecture, and other prefectures offered traditional ramen flavors, new wild ramen flavors, ramen with tons of broth, ramen with little broth, ramen with fruit, meat, garlic, and on and on.  Of course I only had eyes for the weirdest ramen out there.  I went straight to the minestrone-style tomato-base ramen.  It was served in two dishes: a regular big bowl of ramen noodles in a buttery, creamy white based soup speckled with tomato seeds, and a smaller cup of tomato sauce with tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and onions.  The plain ramen in the white soup was so delicious as it was, I was a little nervous to add the tomato sauce mixture.  After a couple slurps I finally went for it and dumped the whole dang thing in and it was honestly one of the BEST ramens I have EVER had in my WHOLE entire life!!  Mark got a ramen that smelled like pizza and had little soup, and Jon and Sayuri both got onion-galore ramens.  They were all tasty in their own individual ways, but in my opinion, mine was the BEST!!


No comments: